Sunday, January 25, 2009

Looking For An Opportunity

Life is funny. One day you are sitting at a desk getting paid to do nothing and bored to death, and the next you are kicked out on the street--no job, no pay, and very excited!

That's what happened to me last week, as I got called into the Boss's office on Thursday, just before lunch and told that I would be laid off effective February 4th. He was very congenial, blaming the economy, nothing in the works, blah, blah, no hurry to clean out my desk and get out of there, take my time, blah, blah. All that was going on in my head is thinking I couldn't wait to get out of there and start finding my next opportunity--and I know I will be better off in the long run.

I'm finding out that my reaction is not typical, as my wife seems totally astounded that I was not bummed out about it, as was my son when I talked to him on Friday. My co-workers are befuddled as to why I was laid off, but I prefer not to look back and dwell on what happened. Instead I prefer to use my energy to look forward.

Here are my reasons to be optimistic:

1. Preparation--Having been a consultant for the last 12 years, I know I have to be prepared on short notice to go on a job search. Most of the time the company I work for works to get me a gig. So in preparation, you always need to keep your resume updated. As soon as I get a new contract, I put it on my resume. A few months in, I'll update the job duties as I know it, and then about a month before the end of the assignment (although it's usually extended) I update it again. I save all my resume updates by year and month, so I know what the latest update is and when I last updated it. My current version is 200902.

2. Network--Using social networks like LinkedIN or FaceBook have made this a lot easier, but go to everyone you used to work with, or agencies that can place you. Don't overlook anyone's potential even if you are sure they can't help you directly--because inevitably someone knows somebody who knows somebody who will end up helping you.

3. Have Confidence, but not cockiness--Over the last 12 years, I've had a lot of experience on both sides of interviewing--mostly by phone. When looking for a new assignment at one point a few years ago, I had four phone interviews and got three offers and on only one of them did I need to follow up with a face to face interview. I've even gotten a job by taking the time to interview from Hawaii on vacation. My key is to treat every interview as a conversation, not a Q & A session. I find a lot out about the other person by making it a conversation, making a few offhand comments, joking a little bit, because the last thing I want to do is go work for someone who is as stiff as a board. This is a huge change from 12 years ago, when I wanted each and every job so bad, I just didn't relax and interview the interviewee. But don't be cocky, don't oversell and say you can do something you know you can't do.

3. Don't be desperate--This is tough for many people (as it was for me a while back), mainly because people tend to work one potential job at a time. I don't get too latched on to one thing, but I always like to have something potentially going. Don't be too eager either, because you will probably sell yourself short. Make sure you want them as much as they will want you. And don't stop looking just because you have an interview. Only stop looking after you have accepted an offer--and then you only stop looking temporarily.

4. Listen Carefully--NEVER TAKE A JOB!--You're probably saying WHAT!? Did he say don't take a job? Yes, absolutely. Don't think of it as a job. Think of it as an OPPORTUNITY. A job is something you dread and do only because you need money. And you usually hate it. An opportunity is something you go to and enjoy doing. And guess what? You still get paid to do it, AND you will usually enjoy it more.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of my job search, and I continue to have income through most of February, so I won't be out on the street very soon. I also haven't wasted my days brooding and going through the "Why me" or "My life is ruined" phases. I expect to hear back on a couple of my opportunities this week, as well as continue to contact more people I know. I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, Stay Gruntled.

No comments:

Post a Comment