Saturday, October 31, 2009

Turn Back the Clock Night

It used to be easy.

Back in the 60's and 70's when life was a lot less complicated and analog clocks were the norm rather than the exception, changing from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time was easy.  simply turn the dial counter-clockwise (now there's an outdated term for you) one complete revolution, and there you go.  Usually you had a kitchen clock, and a bedroom wind up alarm clock.  And maybe a big wall clock in the living room. And your wrist watch required you to pull a little pin out and spin the dial back. 

Ah, the good old days.

Now, it's a major event to turn back the clocks, if you even need to do it.  There are clocks in everything.  From VCR's, TV's Computers, Microwaves, and now even my watch has 3 different time zones on it.  Some of them set themselves automatically because I told the thing where I live.  Some you still have to manually set them.   And they are all digital.

And that's the problem.   I don't know which ones to set ahead of time and which ones not to.   The computers are all easy.  The software will automatically move back at 2 AM tomorrow morning, so that it will be 1 AM.   The Tivo will also set itself, but I'm not sure whether the VCR/DVD player or the TV's will reset or not.  Not a big problem since I don't record anything on tape anymore.   Used to be a problem if I was recording something on Sunday.

I have 4 clock Radios.  One I know has to be set, but it only moves forward.  So I can't move it backwards, I have to move it AHEAD 23 hours to get it set.  And it doesn't have a separate hour and minute button, so I have to hold the button down until it fasts forward through all the minutes and hours 1,380 in all.  Thank goodness it speeds up after a few seconds.

The other 3 I'm not sure what they will do, so I have to wait until Sunday morning to see what time it sets too, or doesn't.  I'm pretty sure my watch doesn't reset itself in any of the time zones, so I will use that as my baseline to determine what time it is tomorrow.    I also have an atomic clock that I think sets itself (it has some kind of radio signal), but I'm never sure.

Then there's the analog clock on the stove, that still needs to be dialed back an hour, but the plastic thingy that makes that easy to do, broke off years ago, so I either have to destroy my fingers to do it, or find the old rusty pliers to set it.

And finally the cell phone.  That simply needs to be turned off and turned on again to reset.  Please don't call me with questions.

Enjoy the long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment