Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Search Continues

Today marks the 3 month mark since I was told I was being let go by my former employer. I've got to admit, my outlook has taken some ups and downs. I didn't expect the search to take nearly this long, but the reality is that companies have been hesitant to hire at my level, because of all that has been going on in the economy and in Washington. In the past 3 months, I have probably submitted my resume over 100 times, and yet only netted one interview, and did not get the job.

But I move on. As I continue to look for work, my wife and I have formed a company which will be an umbrella company for all of our business ventures. Our first venture is a Home-based travel agency, which although it is my wife's business right now, we are both trying to "learn the ropes" of booking travel through various suppliers. One or both of us will be headed to three days of training in Mid-May, and we have been taking several webinars online over the past month. My wife also hopes to combine this venture with her writing skills and do some travel writing.

It's also difficult sometimes to focus on things to do while waiting for callbacks and interviews, so last week I decided to pick up some new skills hopefully related to my old skills. I've always been interested to some degree in web development, and it has changed a lot in the past few years, so I am teaching myself Web Development with ASP.net using Microsoft Visual Web Developer. It turns out there are a lot of skills and software involved in it including database development (one of my specialties), so my mind is racing with possibilities for building a great website for the Travel Business. At least for now, it makes me feel somewhat productive.

This week things seem to be picking up a little bit. I have one anticipated interview right now, and have talked to a couple of other people who may have something which will pan out in an interview soon.

Staying gruntled for now...

1 comment:

  1. It'll happen-I hope soon, but I'm glad you and Mom get to spend so much time together!

    ReplyDelete